Saturday, March 13, 2010

To Play Sex...

English here is interesting. A lot of it is more British than American, which isn't hard to understand, as they were a British colony until the 1960s. Their education system still has colonial structure, and is definitely a remnant from that time.

But there are some interesting sayings. I think it is mostly that someone misunderstood how it was said, said it a different way, and it caught on.

You know how we say 'How's it going?', well they say 'How's the going?'
And then there's 'How has been your day?' instead of 'How's you day been?'

But the one I find the most interesting, and culturally relevant, is how they talk about sex. And this is a topic that a lot of people talk about - from a young age. and it's not just because I am working with a group that works on HIV/AIDS.

So - people say 'to play sex' instead of 'to have sex'.
I am curious if this is how it is said in Luganda as well. If it is, I think it is very informative of a lot of issues surrounding HIV. If you look at sex as a game, as playing, then this helps to explain why kids want to have sex, and think that they should. it's a game. this is why so many young people start 'playing' sex early.

This is just my thought. I haven't really looked into it very well. But I find it really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment