Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Breast of Cow

Was wandering around Kampala yesterday with a couple of the guys from RWEYOWA, picking up supplies, money and such. We went to a stationery store, where I hung out down the street, so the guys didn't get cheated on the price. Just having an 'mzungu' (white person) with you will increase the price by at least 50% or more. After they had finished paying, I walked in, and there was a man selling kabobs of different kinds of meat. Sam, one of the RWEYOWA folks, bought some, and asked if I had ever had their 'red pepper' meat. As I hadn't, it seemed prudent to try it out.

He gave me a piece of what I thought was chicken, and as I bit down on it, it felt and tasted a lot more like a big chunk of grilled fat. I couldn't quite handle it. So - I wandered outside as I was chewing, and proceeded to spit it out like a little kid. Thankfully no one was watching. I had some stuck in my teeth even!

As we were leaving, Sam said, 'That was breast of cow.'

What? Breast of cow? Is that like a chicken breast, but on a cow? Well - if it were, it would be red meat right? so - my only other thought is that it was the udder of a cow. I ate a piece of udder. Wow! Bet there aren't many 'wazungu' out there who can say that!

No comments:

Post a Comment