Sunday, March 21, 2010

No Medium Play!

To borrow a phrase from Christina – there is no medium play here – in anything! Things can go from fine to catastrophic in a moment – and often do. There is either nothing, or excessive amounts.


Just to illustrate, here are some examples from my daily life.

Water – we either do not have any (as in, it gets turned off, and doesn’t come back for a few hours, or 5 days) or it explodes out of the faucet. You turn on the water, even just a tiny bit, and the water explodes with such force, that your pants get soaked. You flush the toilet, and when the tank is refilling, it sounds like someone is trying to fill it with a firehose, and there is the backsplash that you have to take into account as well.

Sun – I am used to getting sun-burnt. Always have, always will. But I am also used to the fact that when I get sun-burnt once, it turns into somewhat of a tan, and I really don’t get fried after that. I may get a little pink. But not fried. Here – I get fried, over and over and over again. I actually have tan arms. They have good color – for me! And today – we walked home from a town called Ndejje – about an hour. I got fried – on top of my tan. No medium play!

And lastly – rain. We have gone about 10 days without rain. But, when the rains started again, it is like this massive downpour. It lasts 5-10 minutes. Up to an hour tops, but it is the hardest rain – the most intense drops for that time. There isn’t a medium play – no sprinkles, no drizzle – either downpour or nothing!

There are so many more examples here, but those are a few that I have noticed on a daily basis to illustrate. So many more to share…

No comments:

Post a Comment