Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ghosts and Demons

There is still a lot of belief here in ghosts and demons.
Today I saw a headline in one of the 2 main national newspapers (I haven't read the article yet, but planning on it) about the Bujagali dam - this is a dam that is going to dam up part of the Nile. It has been in the works for over 10 years. Just below the headline, it said: Ghosts attack dam workers.

No joke!

I am really curious to read the article. I can't believe that is in one of the main, most respected newspapers.

And then - last night, Miriam, a good friend, was telling me about a girl that lives near our office. She is about 15 years old. She was talking about how her father was a really poor man, and how when he was struggling and struggling, he decided to make a deal with the devil. So - he sold the soul of his daughter to the devil. I guess she is a very beautiful girl as well. I have not seen here, though i am really curious now.

The demons do not possess her all the time, but when they do, she sleeps with 4 or 5 men a day. She was talking about how her mom has taken her to all kinds of pastors, churches and such to get the demons out of her. They all help, but when they go back home, the demons come back and take her over again. They laugh at the mom and tell her that the girl belongs to them!

And - the father is now a very rich man working in Kenya.

I would love to hear more about this story, and meet the family. I wonder if talking about demons is a way of explaining away behavior problems. Where we would put someone on drugs, or label them as ADHD or bi-polar or something, they seek an explanation based on God, the devil and demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment