Sunday, April 11, 2010

Perpetually Underdressed!

Have you ever thought that Americans are slobs? I really never thought so. I thought that we dress fairly comfortably and casually. Well – I have started to notice that compared to other countries, we are slobs! Well, not slobs, but I definitely feel underdressed most of the time!


Here, even though the clothes may be mended numerous times, the men are always wearing slacks, dress shoes and button-up shirts. Many are wearing suit coats. And these aren’t just the business men. These are the carpenters, the hawkers, the guys working at the shop down the street, and the guys we work with at RWEYOWA. On a daily basis. And the women – if we were seen wearing the clothes they wear on a daily basis, you would think we were on our way to a wedding! I rarely see women in pants, and almost never in jeans. They are almost always in dresses, and very nice fancy ones at that. And high-heeled shoes. Which I will never understand in any culture! I love walking down the road after a heavy rain, and it is complete mud! Red mud! Gooshy and slippery and it splatters everywhere. And walking down the road toward you, or sitting on the back of a motorcycle, is a woman dressed in bleach-white skirt and dressy shirt and high-heeled silver shoes. How in the world does she keep it clean? I think this is one of those mysteries that I will never, ever solve!

No comments:

Post a Comment